Feather Set Replacement

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by centrarchid, Apr 4, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I could not find a good category for this thread so here it shall be.

As of yesterday I had some dominique x American games hatch. I will be documenting feather development and replacement. Goal is to make photographs and measure feathers. Previous observations are that a given birds becomes sexually mature about time third set of feathers is acquired but another molt when bird is in second fall season of live is the first full adult set. With respect to American and Old English games, the first adult set is associated with males called stags. As I understand it, folks not working with games call the same birds cockerols. When the second adult set is acquired, the same birds are called cocks. The term rooster does not distinguish between adult males. With stags and cocks, feathering in my birds is distinguishable, stags feathers are not as glossy and generally retain some pattern in secondary feathers. Sicle feather of cock also considerable larger. I suspect flight feathers also somewhat larger. It is the last difference that is of particular interest.

First images of right wing showing primary and secondary wing feathers. I will be learning proper feather names as this progresses.

male
    [​IMG]

female
    [​IMG]

EDITED IN EFFORT TO CONTROL LEACHERY: tail, not much to look at
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Quote:I disagree...

Sorry! Couldn't resist!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ......but so true

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Great, or not so great minds.[​IMG] Sirbird, I have missed you!

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Two days later (age = 72 h post-hatch) with different chicks of same cohort.

Male right wing
    [​IMG]
    Female right wing
    [​IMG]
    Female tail
    [​IMG]

All three females ahead of four males in respect to feathering on wings. Appears males have a greater slow feathering effect going on despite being 1/2 game. The slow feathering is something I intend to select out over time. Starting with dom x game and using only female offspring should make easier elimination of slow feathering allele on Z chromosome.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Flight surfaces still not flight worthy but they do now aid in running turns and jumping.

Male right wing
    [​IMG]

Female right wing
    [​IMG]

Female tail
    [​IMG]

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    We are now 10 days post-hatch. A few days have been missed but key stages not. Gaps nearly filled providing a complete flight surface. Limited true flight now possible with much of limitation coming from flight muscle developement. Body covering starting to come in but still far from enabling thermoregulation when temperature drops.

Male
    [​IMG]

Female
    [​IMG]

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Chicks now about 20 days post-hatch. They are now capable of flying 30 feet horizontally and 6 feet vertically. Notice white feathers(pirmary) in wing of female. Neither parental breed exhibits this characteristic.

Male
    [​IMG]

Female
    [​IMG]

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Oh you forgot her tail. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by