Feather sexing cochins question . . .

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadyShred, Apr 4, 2009.

1. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    We just ordered some birchen cochins from a hatchery. We got 3 and now that they are going to be 2 weeks old wednesday, I noticed that their wing feathers are growing in . . . questionably? One of the baby chicks' wings have grown long enough to touch the tail feathers and the other two baby chicks' wings are just barely growing out (like only half as long as the other one).

Is this a sign that I have a girl and 2 boys?

I didn't think cochins could be wing feather sexed . . . but then again, I'm not sure who can or who can't lol!

I just need some feedback to find out if my assumptions are correct.

2. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Oddly enough, one of my friends raises standard cochins and I was commenting yesterday on 2 white laced red cornish I ordered that are suppose to both be hens but one of them barely has wing feathers. He said that if they were anything like his cochins that they are probaly both hens as his cochins are worse then any breed he has ever owned on tricking him with this. He said about half his hens start out with shorter feathers and some of the roosters have started out like hens. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by