Feather sexing one day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I did a search on here about feather sexing and someone posted a youtube clip which was about a 5 minute clip. Towards the end of the clip they showed you how to feather sex one day old chicks. I guess the chicks that had even wing feathers were males, and the staggered ones (short, long, short, long, etc.) were females. I am wondering can any breed be sexed like this or is it just certain ones?

Thanks

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

That's really interesting. I'm curious, as well.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You have to breed fast feathering to slow feathering parents to have the feather sexing capability. It doesn't work for typical backyard flocks, as most don't know if their birds were fast or slow featherers. Some hatcheries do this with some of their breeds so they don't have to vent sex all of them.

Jody

4. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:Jody-

I am getting a bunch of eggs from Dipsy Doodle and Eggchel to hatch out. They are Ameraucana's. I suppose I should ask each of these 2 ladies regarding the fast and slow feathering parents if I will be able to sex the chicks at day old.

Kim

5. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    I have a chicken sexer. My husband!! All he has to do is look at them, even at a day or 2 old! He gueses and is ALWAYS right. I think it is the shape of thier eyes and the comb. (I have heard of feather sexing though, not always accurate) I stopped betting him , I was always losing an stuck mowing the property all summer!! HA! You can borrow him anytime!! [​IMG]
    -Theresa

6. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    Quote:JODY!!! Say that 10 times without messing up!! Sheesh. Us simple folk can't think that fast!! HA HA
    -Theresa

7. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I have four that were feather sexed as day-olds. I know, because I called the hatchery. They're a RIR, a BO, a BR, and an Australorp. I was shocked to learn that the hatchery (Townline Poultry) doesn't even have a person who can vent sex.

8. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    horsewishr - were the accurate?

9. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    100%. But there were only four chicks. I'm looking at pictures now. I'll see if I can post one.

edited to add pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they were about a week old in these pictures. They had been sent to the feed store (from the hatchery) as day-olds.

OOPS. I thought I was posting in the "barred rock" sexing thread. So I cropped out all of the other girls.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by