1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather sexing Polish? Pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DaizeeYHFarm, Mar 14, 2012.

1. DaizeeYHFarm

DaizeeYHFarm New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Hello :)
    Noodle is a 2 day old straight run WCB Polish chick. I've heard these are hard to sex until the roos develop red wattles around week 6, but of course I'm impatient :) I can't have roos, and I ordered pullets but all they had was straight run on the polish... couldn't say no lol (I also got 1 EE, 1 red sex link, 1 SLW, and 1 California white, all pullets. Sorry, first chicks, I'm excited lol) I've seen pics for feather sexing other breeds, can you do that with Polish? The sooner noodle finds out he's a girl the sooner he gets a better name lol (or a better home.... let's hope not!)
    Any advice is more than welcome!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm sorry these aren't very good, I just took them with my phone

2. DaizeeYHFarm

DaizeeYHFarm New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Does anyone know?

3. Imma Okie

Imma Okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    From what I have read about feather sexing (K allele) I don't think Polish chickens can be sexed via feather growth. I could be wrong.

1 person likes this.
  4. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    and for what it's worth, I had to wait for my polish to either crow or lay before I knew for sure, though I am fairly certain based on the crest and lack of pointy saddle and hackle feathers that I have 2 pullets that have yet to lay.

5. Larrelye

Larrelye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    What a shame. I'm using the made up theory that if I can't tell what they are, they don't know yet either. I can then send them male and female energies to guide them. So far it probably isn't working.... Good luck.

6. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

7. DaizeeYHFarm

DaizeeYHFarm New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Hahaha! Sounds like it's worth a try!

8. dkcrumly

dkcrumly Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a female if they are able to be feather sexed. If the primaries grow faster than the coverts, then it should be female.

9. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    My Polish "hen" was feather sexed as a chick by the owner of the feed store where I bought "her." The owner actually is very chicken-smart and he has a lot of experience raising poultry. He spread the wings out on the counter and said, "This here is a hen." He put "her" in a brown sack and I took "her" home.

That chicken? Meet Joe, the White Crested Blue Polish rooster:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  10. JessWithChicks

JessWithChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Molalla, Oregon
    Not funny that you got a roo but a the way you tell the story is f-u-n-n-y!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by