Feather sexing when chicks - What are your thoughts about this?

XilverAngel

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
I have heard that hatcheries use this method to sex their chicks in order to sell. Is this effective? If so, i would like to try it with my own chicks. I also heard that it depended on the mother and father of the chicks though, something about fast and slow feathering hens or roosters. What do you guys think?

SunnyCalifornia

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Escondido CA
Wow, I don't think I"ve heard of feather sexing day olds, which is what hatcheries usually sell, unless its down sexing for sex-links. I thought they mostly vent sexed chicks? I'll be interested to hear more?

Elinor's chicks

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
Lexington KY
Quote:read this- go to the last part of the post

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

I must confess, I didn't understand much of it - over my head.

I had read that only some breeds can be feather sexed, and mine - Orpington - is one of them. When I looked at the feathers at one day I determined one pullet, one cockerel, and one I'm not sure. At 5 weeks, it seems to be panning out. The "pullet' has never looked like anything but a pullet - no comb, no wattles, feathered in faster than the other two, and just has a feminine look about her. One I am just as convinced it a cockerel for the same reasons. The 'I don't know' one seems to change from week to week. I need to give that one more time.

Top Bottom