1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather sexing when chicks - What are your thoughts about this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by XilverAngel, Sep 9, 2011.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I have heard that hatcheries use this method to sex their chicks in order to sell. Is this effective? If so, i would like to try it with my own chicks. I also heard that it depended on the mother and father of the chicks though, something about fast and slow feathering hens or roosters. What do you guys think?

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Wow, I don't think I"ve heard of feather sexing day olds, which is what hatcheries usually sell, unless its down sexing for sex-links. I thought they mostly vent sexed chicks? I'll be interested to hear more?

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
  4. Elinor's chicks

Elinor's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Lexington KY
    Quote:read this- go to the last part of the post

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

I must confess, I didn't understand much of it - over my head.

I had read that only some breeds can be feather sexed, and mine - Orpington - is one of them. When I looked at the feathers at one day I determined one pullet, one cockerel, and one I'm not sure. At 5 weeks, it seems to be panning out. The "pullet' has never looked like anything but a pullet - no comb, no wattles, feathered in faster than the other two, and just has a feminine look about her. One I am just as convinced it a cockerel for the same reasons. The 'I don't know' one seems to change from week to week. I need to give that one more time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by