1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather sexing White Leghorn chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by A.T. Hagan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I just received an order of Pearl White Leghorns from McMurray and find I have a problem. There are fifty pullet chicks and five cockerel chicks, but they weren't marked so I can't tell which is which. I want to keep the cockerels and sell about half the pullets so how do I tell them apart? I know they can be feather sexed but I haven't done this yet so does anyone have a link or resource I can review? And how long can this be done before they become indistinguishable?

Thanks much!

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Never mind. Just got off the phone with McMurray and they cannot be feather sexed as I thought they could. Grumble, grumble, grumble...

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My TJs chicks appear to be following the commonly believed (by me, too) route of pullet's growing tail feathers long before the cockerels do. Plus, the same one taking a while to feather out (compared to the others) was the one hatching upside down and when I got it out of the shell, it had the tiniest little comb ALREADY.

Dunno if that will help or not. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by