Feather sexing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sophiejw, Jul 8, 2010.

1. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Hello,
    I've got a lovely group of 7 new chicks. I thought I'd have a go at feather sexing them when they were a day old, I'd read that ones with longer feathers at a day old were female. Doing this, I think I have 5 girls and 2 boys. The chicks are australorps, polish crested and a rhode island x orpington. I just wondered if anyone else has done this and if the results turned out to be right.
    Thanks
    Sophie

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Feather sexing is only reliable when sexing chick that are bred to be feather sexed. I don't think any of the breedsyou listed have the "right" genes...except maybe for the RIR/BO cross. It will be interesting to see though! Mark your suspected roos (dot on the head) and lets wait & see! [​IMG]

3. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Thanks for that [​IMG] I thought the RIR x was a girl so that's good, I hope it is so it will lay lots of nice big eggs (that's the plan anyway!). [​IMG] I think both the Polish are girls, so easy to know if right with them, and 2 each for the Australorps. Will be interesting, do you know which breeds are bred for this to work? Though I'm not sure I could bring myself to cull little chicks if I thought they were male so maybe best not to know for sure [​IMG]

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    do you know which breeds are bred for this to work

You'll have to do a search on the "hows" to learn any more. Most hatcheries just call them "sex-links" and then name them something pretty, like Amberlinks, or black stars, etc. (However--I do think both amberlinks and blackstars are COLOR-sexed sexlinks, not feather sexed)​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by