Feather sexing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by serendipityfarm, Nov 21, 2010.

1. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    What breeds (or crosses of what breeds) is it POSSIBLE to feather sex?
    Or, the reverse, I guess... which breeds are NOT able to be feather sexed?

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Good question! Wish I had the answer. I *think* the ones specifically called Sex-Links can be feather sexed- but I could be waaayyy off, so dont quote me [​IMG] I may be thinking of the ones that are sexed by color.

Heres a bump hoping you get a far better answer! [​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Feather sexing is determined by how the parent stock is bred. You have to breed fast feathering roo to slow feathering hens, or vice versa to be able to feather sex.

Sex links have variable color differences that define the males from females. This is different than feather sexing.

4. serendipityfarm

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Ok, so then what are some fast-feathering and slow-feathering breeds?

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It is not breed specific. It is based on how the parents are bred.

6. serendipityfarm

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Any chance you could give me an example?

Or how about this... I have a Cochin x Orpington. Any chance that will be feather-sexable?
    Cochin X Silkie? (Probably not likely)
    Purebred Cochin?

What could I cross to a Cochin to create a F-Sexable cross?

7. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Wait a sec! So, what is it called when you have chicks that are sexed according to their little wing feathers? I know in some hatcheries there are certain breeds that when a person looks at the wing feathers, there will be a row of tiny pin feathers, and when the feathers are aligned 'short-long-short-long-short, etc, that means girl, whereas feathers that are all the same length means a boy.

Isnt that feather sexing, and a sex-link trait?

I also have a hen that was simply labeled as a Sex-Link. The feed store people said that means its sex can be determined by its coloring as a chick. I do agree that you do have to breed for the trait, but wouldnt all chickens called sex-links create chicks that are sex-links also?

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    In hatcheries many if not most of the breeds are bred with a male line that is fast feathering or visa versa and a female liune that is bred for the opposite feathering charectieristics. When those mate you will have offsrping that is feather sexable. I think that may be one area that some heritage breeders may draw the line in terms of what might qualify for heritage stock. I beleive that most of the more common breeds are feather sexable in large hatcheries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by