feather sexing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Elinor's chicks, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Elinor's chicks

Elinor's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Lexington KY
    Has anyone here tried feather sexing their day-old chicks? How accurate were you? I've seen the photos - uneven feathers = pullet, even feathers = cockerel, and I watched a horrible YouTube video someone posted here about commercial hatcheries (not going to put myself through that again! [​IMG]

I think I read somewhere the breed I am hatching (Orpingtons) can be. (????)

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    a friend of mine who owns about a million chickens told me that at 2 weeks, the females will have tail feathers and the males wont. he said that this never fails and he always turns out corrct on the gender [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Feather sexing isn't hard, but it requires that the chickens be bred to show their sex in differences in the feathers as chicks. Feather sexing in chicks that were bred with these traits also must be sexed within the first day or two to be accurate. Male chickens in these breeds have longer wing pinfeathers than the females do, which makes them relatively easy to tell apart. Most chickens do not have these traits bred into them, and the chicks are identical to all but the skilled eye.

4. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:I've also read/told this. The ones I read said that females will get their wing and tail feathers in the first week or so and the males will take longer. I hope this is right as 7 of 8 of my aprox. 8 day old chicks all have wing feathers (some of which are also starting tail feathers). [​IMG] Only one of them has neither wing or tail feathers yet.

5. NormansGal44

NormansGal44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011

I had a Easter Egger (I know, a mutt ;) ) pullet who didn't grow a tail until five months old. Before that she was tailless and I was wondering if some random Arucana gene was showing through... LOL!

6. shardean

shardean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Sequim, Washington
    I have 14 chicks 6-8 days old...all have wing and tail feathers started...some longer then others. And as great as it would be, can't believe all are hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by