Feather sexing

We have raised meat chicks before, and by my aunt (who used to work in a hatchery) we were told that the chicks with more developed wing feathers were roosters. What I mean is if you spread out the wings, roosters have two layers of the feathers, whereas hens only have one. However, that could depend on the breed and age as well. We also found that roosters began getting bigger, more prominent tail feathers faster.
I suggest you take advice from the people here who are better at chicken sexing
smile.png
I'm not sure if I'm right, we usually sex meat chicks by their size and combs. But, it could be worth a shot! Tell me if I'm wrong!!
jumpy.gif

We have raised meat chicks before, and by my aunt (who used to work in a hatchery) we were told that the chicks with more developed wing feathers were roosters. What I mean is if you spread out the wings, roosters have two layers of the feathers, whereas hens only have one. However, that could depend on the breed and age as well. We also found that roosters began getting bigger, more prominent tail feathers faster. 
       I suggest you take advice from the people here who are better at chicken sexing :)  I'm not sure if I'm right, we usually sex meat chicks by their size and combs. But, it could be worth a shot! Tell me if I'm wrong!!
:jumpy

I think it is the opposite, but you are on the right track :) Females feather faster than males.

http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld001.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom