Feather Shaft Development on my Red Sex Link Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazychickenlady1997, Mar 27, 2018.

1. crazychickenlady1997

crazychickenlady1997 In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2018
    East Tennessee Mountains
    I bought 2 red sex links from Tractor supply about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure how old they are, I think they were sitting at Tractor Supply for a few days or maybe a week before I picked them up.

My question is, they are growing rapidly and developing their feathers. One of them is growing just feather shafts along the spine and kind of resembles a porcupine. Is this normal? I don't suspect lice or mites because no other chick in the brooder is having this problem.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Pictures would help, but some grow feathers in a bit differently. Make sure they are eating a good fresh chick starter so they are getting all they need to grow, and feather. I give mine a daily treat of scrambled eggs which gets them growing like weeds.

3. crazychickenlady1997

crazychickenlady1997 In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2018
    East Tennessee Mountains
    Just got home and she's growing little feathers out of the shafts so I think we're all good :) I think I'll take your advice and give them a scrambled egg. Do I need to give them some grit if I do that? They're just on starter crumbles right now so I haven't given them any grit yet.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I never add grit. You can if you want. A bit of sand sprinkled around the brooder or in a dish will work, but I feed eggs without problems. If you feed too many eggs be aware their poop will be looser and a bit more stinky. I find it's worth the smell to get such good growth rates. So if it bothers you cut back on the eggs.

crazychickenlady1997 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: