Feather sticking out

ChickyNuggets

In the Brooder
May 28, 2021
Iowa
20210817_191557.jpg

First time chicken owner here.This is Cosmo.She will be 13 weeks tomorrow. Her feather has been sticking out like this for a while now.It doesnt seem to be bothering her when I touch her.She does have pin feathers underneath this feather and is still getting the rest of her feathers in.Does this mean this one is going to fall out soon?Im not sure if I should be concerned or not.Do I leave it?Do I pull it? The other 5 girls are fine and they dont bully one another.Thanks in advance.

It may be slipped wing. Have you looked into that by chance?

Edited to add: She's at an age where I'm not sure if she's molting or not. You mentioned that her wing has been like this for a while. Any idea how long? Did it start soon after her flight feathers started coming in?
@WVduckchick how similar is slipped wing in chickens to angel wing in ducks?

I have experience with this in ducks. I've only read about it in chickens. I would not pluck the feathers, especially if the root is still intact. I do remember reading about some people plucking a couple of feathers in ducks but I wouldn't advise that. Let's see what more experienced folks have to say. I wish you the best with your beautiful bird 💜

Last edited:

Edited to add: She's at an age where I'm not sure if she's molting or not. You mentioned that her wing has been like this for a while. Any idea how long? Did it start soon after her flight feathers started coming in?
It's been like this for no more than 2 weeks. There are feathers everywhere so it's safe to say that at least 1 of my 6 hens are molting. I have looked into slipped wing but it seemed more common in ducks and geese so I wasn't sure if that was the case here or not.

I have experience with this in ducks. I've only read about it in chickens. I would not pluck the feathers, especially if the root is still intact. I do remember reading about some people plucking a couple of feathers in ducks but I wouldn't advise that. Let's see what more experienced folks have to say. I wish you the best with your beautiful bird 💜
Thank you so much for your input and help!

It's been like this for no more than 2 weeks. There are feathers everywhere so it's safe to say that at least 1 of my 6 hens are molting.
Yep, I'd say part of a juvenile molt.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Yep, I'd say part of a juvenile molt.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.
Thank you so much 😊

Back
Top Bottom