Feather turning white and breaking off

bantambaby7

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
My one year old black cochin bantam roosters neck feathers are turning white and breaking off with the quills still in his neck. His neck is also really red but I don't see blisters or any sores.. Does anyone know what is causing this & the best treatment? I started using tea tree oil today but I really don't want to lose my roo! Help!

Last edited:
Hmm that is odd, I have not read about that before. I am curious to see what others may say. If he is generally acting normal hopefully it is not a serious threat to his overall health.

This sounds similar to my problem. The base of the feathers are still in the chicken but something has nibbled the feathers right down, so all she is left with is a little stubble. I cant see any mites or lice, and the problem is also on her lower neck now as well as her bottom. I am desperately trying to find out what this is.

I know there are mites that will eat the shafts of feathers. Do a search on this forum for "feather mites" and see if that's what you're dealing with.

Beaney 1 does your hen smell bad? My roo does. So far his is only on his neck. I was told it may be a bacterial infection since he smells.

Last edited:
Bantambaby - My chicks dont smell. I have started a new thread last night and posted some pics, so have a look and see if that is similar to your Roo. I have dusted with mite powder now, but surely mites wouldnt change the colour of feathers to white??? Cant see any mites anyway.

Klmclain, many thanks for your reply. I have searched feather mites, and perhaps you are right. I guess I will just have to wait and see if the dusting does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom