Feather turning white and breaking off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bantambaby7, Apr 14, 2012.

1. bantambaby7

bantambaby7 New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    My one year old black cochin bantam roosters neck feathers are turning white and breaking off with the quills still in his neck. His neck is also really red but I don't see blisters or any sores.. Does anyone know what is causing this & the best treatment? I started using tea tree oil today but I really don't want to lose my roo! Help!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmm that is odd, I have not read about that before. I am curious to see what others may say. If he is generally acting normal hopefully it is not a serious threat to his overall health.

3. beaney1j

beaney1j New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    This sounds similar to my problem. The base of the feathers are still in the chicken but something has nibbled the feathers right down, so all she is left with is a little stubble. I cant see any mites or lice, and the problem is also on her lower neck now as well as her bottom. I am desperately trying to find out what this is.

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I know there are mites that will eat the shafts of feathers. Do a search on this forum for "feather mites" and see if that's what you're dealing with.

5. bantambaby7

bantambaby7 New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Beaney 1 does your hen smell bad? My roo does. So far his is only on his neck. I was told it may be a bacterial infection since he smells.

6. bantambaby7

bantambaby7 New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    ok klmclain1 I will search the feather mites. Thank you!

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I hope that's what it is!! Easy to get rid of!

8. beaney1j

beaney1j New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    Bantambaby - My chicks dont smell. I have started a new thread last night and posted some pics, so have a look and see if that is similar to your Roo. I have dusted with mite powder now, but surely mites wouldnt change the colour of feathers to white??? Cant see any mites anyway.

Klmclain, many thanks for your reply. I have searched feather mites, and perhaps you are right. I guess I will just have to wait and see if the dusting does the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by