Feathered Browbands and mane decorations

Moonwalker

Songster
12 Years
Jan 9, 2008
Washburn, MO
I will be making browbands and mane decorations using emu feathers. Anybody here interested? I can make them with custom colored ribbons/beads in the design. I don't have pics (or prices) yet, but the ones I just threw together out of boredom look nice!
For those who have never seen an emu feather, they are twin plumes from a single root. They are fine and usually 4 to 6" long. The natural color ranges from white, to grey to brown, but I am experimenting with dyes.

Do you have any pictures of them? I would be interested to see what they look like, they sound quite neat.

-Kim

I will be working on some bands this week on my days off (Tues/Wed/Thu) and should have some pics then. I need to go get some nice beads and ribbons! I used some stuff we had laying around the barn, and for a joke made a browband for my guidehorse that would chase the flies away from his eyes. Someone said, "You know, you could make some money with those...."
ep.gif

103_0804.jpg

This is an emu feather. Each one is double plumed and wispy. They have a natural curve and curl to them.
I'll get pics of some finished product up soon!
Oh yeah, and why don't I have pics of the one I made on Sunday? Cuz one of the girls snagged it and took it home with her!
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom