Feathered feet and silkies during winter

Ozkan

Chirping
May 6, 2017
Hi
I was planning to hatch silkie,silkie feathered pekins,Brahmas and Orpingtons. So they will be 16 weeks by December.
I was wondering if I should be worried about their feathered feet during winter and silkies and silkie Pekin feathers aren’t waterproof and we have a lot of rain in winter and they will be free range and a shed as a coop?

Thanks
Ozkan

They should be fine. My silkies have been through snow and rain, they get wet but dry off. As long as they have a decent coop to go into whenever they want, you shouldn’t have any problems.

A few days ago we had a torrential downpour, that stopped before I got home from work. Both of my silkies were soaked, and strolling around in the run when I got home, happy as could be. The rest of my girls were in the coop nice and dry.

Hi
Do their feathers stick together though?
And does it poof back again?

Thanks

Hi
Do their feathers stick together though?
And does it poof back again?

Thanks

Nice, that's good to know. In Colorado, we don't get much rain, but snow.

I have heard that snow and ice can clump to their feathered feet. Not sure how defend against that...trimming? This will be my first season to experience it.

My 2 silkies do fine in the winter. As long as your coop is big enough for them to be cooped up for days, there shouldn’t be a problem. The only time they were in the snow was if it started snowing while they were still out. When the run has snow in it, they stay inside.

IMO, 4 sq ft isn’t enough for long term coop time. I planned my coop for 10-15 sq ft inside, knowing that they would spend days at a time without going out. Right now, I have 8 girls and about 100 sq ft, give or take. Hopefully that will be enough, last winter I had 4 and a rabbit and it was plenty.

ETA: @tigger19687 is farther north in MA than I am, but we get a lot of snow in my area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom