1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feathered feet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Grindlefamily, May 21, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    My daughter wants to have a feather footed chicken - what breeds have feathered feet?

Thanks!

Louella

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Cochins, silkies, d'uccles...

I know there are more so hopefully somebody else will chime in! [​IMG]

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    You need heavy breeds. Light brahmas, ours are super sweet![​IMG]

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Ohhh she would absolutely adore a silkie! They are cute and cuddly and so soft!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Brahmas, Salmon Faverolles.

6. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    Okay - considering getting some eggs to hatch that will end up with chicks w/ feathered feet - thinking I might go for bantams (so hubby won't worry about fitting in just 1 more chicken [​IMG] )

Any good suggestions?

Can't spend much.

Louella

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Brahmas also come in bantam size. My light brahmas, though standards, are the sweetest things. Followed closely by my buffs.

8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Bantam Salmon Faverolles are adorable. Hard to come by, but they are out there....

9. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    For a first timer I would suggest Silkies or Cochins. They are the tamest and most docile an dlaid back of any feather footed bantam breed, the most of any breed really. You will get very pretty birds in both breeds and you wont be dissappointed in them I am sure. And you can also get Frizzles in both breeds. Frizzled birds are very cool and are very pretty! That would be my suggestion for a first timer.

~Casey

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Cochins or Silkies are both very sweet and both go broody and they come in bantam. You have color varieties in both and they make super pets as well as Cochins laying well. Silkies, however, tend to like to be broody without laying so well. But results do vary.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by