feathered foot/leg chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mandapanda3186, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    I only know of a few by name...silkies, cochin, brahamas D'uccles...

My question is, as a chick is there a way to tell them apart? I know silkies have 5 toes, black skin, etc. What about the others? Getting this info is like finding a needle in a haystack. Shooting in the dark. Thought id ask the experts [​IMG]

I got 4 from tsc today, trying to find the differences

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Best way for us to tell is to post a pic of your chicks. Marans also have feathered shanks/toes, at least they should! [​IMG]

3. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    I'm on my Iphone and don't know how to get pics on. I go to uploads but my phone says uploads disabled. I've looked and looked but can't figure out how to fix that on my phone

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Hmm, can't help ya with that one. I'm the only person in the world without a cell phone! [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:I don't know about D'uccles but cochins have straight combs, brahma's have either pea or rose combs, can't remember right off, and silkies are, well, silkie [​IMG]

6. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Quote:If you have a photobucket account then you can upload your pics to it and then post the html thing here. And you can do all that on your phone because I tried it on my iPhone 4.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Belgian D'Uccle --- Single Comb
    Booted Bantam --- Single Comb
    Brahma --- Pea Comb
    Cochin --- Single Comb
    Faverolles --- Single Comb
    Langshan --- Single Comb
    Silkie --- Walnut Comb
    Sultan --- V-Shape Comb

Chris

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  8. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    Eight feather legged breeds are recognized..... Belgian Bearded d'Uccles: Single combs, Beards, four toes, vulture hocks......Booteds: Same as d'Uccles..but NO Beard...... Brahmas: Pea combs, four toes, yellow skin,.....Cochins: Single combs, yellow legs, four toes,.....Faverolles: Single combs, Beards, white legs, FIVE toes.....Langshans: Single combs, four toes...taller birds. Silkies/Showgirls: Silkie feathered, Crests, some bearded...some non-bearded, five toes, black skin, Naked necks on the Showgirls.....Sultans: V-shaped combs, Crests, five toes, Beards, vulture hocks,....hope this helps.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by