feathered foot questions!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunket77, Sep 14, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have 2 birds giving me issues with their feathered feet! I have a silkie who has a sore on the top of his foot it looks like a giant pimple. It is bright red, I am not sure what to do about it, I have bee treating him for scaly leg mites with vaseline and soaking his feet but it doesn't seem to help the sore. I also have a cochin who I assume got his feet pecked. We have been having a lot of rain lately and not sure if that drew attention to his feet to be pecked or what but he has some spots with bleeding feathers. The base of his feathers at his feet is very red and there are some spots on his legs that are also red.
    If I trim the feathers around the feet on either of them will it hurt them? I am worried b/c the feathers are so thick there and where my cochin was pecked it is bleeding on the shaft of the feathers.

2. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    does anyone know?

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    How long have they been that way? VetRX is supposed to treat scaley leg mites. You can give that a try and see how it works.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Does it look like feathers were pulled out or broken?? I would keep the birds away from the others if there is blood so that they don't get pecked. Clean their legs up as much as possible, assess how it looks. Also, post this question in the 'Emergengies, Diseases, Injuries" section, you'll get better answers....I would try to keep their legs dry and as clean as possible. Does anything look infected? You may have to use some diluted Nolvasan or Iodine to clean it...

5. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Reminds me of the post of an ingrown feather which would make sense with a feather footed bird I guess.

6. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I am thinking ingrown feather myself I am just unsure how to treat it...thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by