Feathered footed friend

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kycrabbfan, Jun 21, 2009.

1. kycrabbfan

kycrabbfan Hatching

Jun 21, 2009
    I have a small chicken that has LONG feathers on the lower legs and they cover it's feet. The feathers kinda flare out toward the outside. Can anyone help me identify the breed? I would love to raise more of these. I bought it in a group at the local farm store at Easter. It was labeled "banny", but it sure looks different than the others.

2. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Songster

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    There are several feather footed breeds. Please post pics. Could it have possibly said BANTY?

3. nancymiller

nancymiller In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Western NC
    :weeehi look up cochin chickens and see if that is what it is.....they can still be bantys and be cochins, they are beautiful and very docile, great pets. You can put other chickens eggs under them and they will hatch em, ha ! Good luck, NM

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    From the description of the feathered shanks and feet, I would guess brahma or possibly langshan. ANd even if it said banny, I am sure it meant bantam or banty.

5. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Songster

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Could be a D'Uccle. Does the chicken have a beard? What color is it?
    When people say banty it sounds like "banny" which is slang for bantam, a small breed chicken. [​IMG]

Gotta love the feathered feet! [​IMG]

6. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Songster

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    If it looks like any of these guys its a Mille Fluer D'uccle:
    Female
    [​IMG]
    Rooster
    [​IMG]
    Chicks
    [​IMG]
    Teen
    [​IMG]
    (a better shot of the legs on the Teen)
    [​IMG]
    I Hope that helps some!

7. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Is it kind of like this one? This is my bantam Cochin rooster, Fred. He is the most gentle, docile rooster that we have.

[​IMG]

8. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Songster

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Quote:Oooh, I'm soo stealing those from you! [​IMG]
    They are very pretty. I love millies [​IMG]

9. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Songster

May 23, 2008
    Ponder

Why thank you! It was our first time with an incubator and we got 9 out of 13 to hatch! We couldn't find anyone to buy so I am going to be lucky enough to see what the 2nd generation looks like. If you'd like some eggs or something PM and I could send some out in the fall. I'm afraid the Texas heat would hurt them before they got to you.

-Mariah

10. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Songster

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas

Why thank you! It was our first time with an incubator and we got 9 out of 13 to hatch! We couldn't find anyone to buy so I am going to be lucky enough to see what the 2nd generation looks like. If you'd like some eggs or something PM and I could send some out in the fall. I'm afraid the Texas heat would hurt them before they got to you.

-Mariah

Luckily, I only live maybe an hour from you. You know where Blue Ridge is?
    You had a very good hatch rate as well! I only have 2 confirmed Mille Fleur D'Uccles, one is all brown with black on it's tail. I'm hoping she will change when she first molts. She confuses me as to what color she is. I have a porcelain as well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: