Feathered friends from the Sooner state!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fallsfamilyfarm, Jan 28, 2013.

1. fallsfamilyfarm

fallsfamilyfarm New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    Porter, OK
    Hello all!

My husband and I joined the cult and got into chickens about a year ago. First, we started w/ an old metal storage shed that we converted into a coop, 10 pullets (4 Light Brahmas, 3 White Rocks and 3 RIR) and a white rock rooster. A homemade tractor coop, a homemade sled coop, and 150 + chickens later, we are approaching completion of yet another 15x15x15ft coop w/ a 30x50 ft run project. In our first year we have experimented w/ a little bit of everything, built our own incubators, hatched our own chicks, made some new & funky looking chicken breeds...but most importantly we have learned a ton! We have learned some hard lessons along the way too, we will never buy from a poultry auction again, we have learned the art of opossum killing (my 16 year old son has proven his manhood twice by doing so), we even had to rehome two beautiful german shepherd pups, and we still have not figured out how to put a chicken on the dinner table that doesn't turn out tough as leather! We have finally decided to stop dabbling and get serious, we are going to invest more in rare breeds that are good layers, hopefully will add Cream Legbars and Rhodebars very soon for the auto-sexing traits. Our goal is to sell eggs for consumption and to breed. That being said, we are currently working on narrowing down our breeds, at this time we have:

Ancona, Australorps, Barred Rocks, French Black Copper Marans, Black Jersey Giants, Black Stars, Blue Ameracaunas, Blue Andalusians, Buff Brahma, Buff Orpington, White Cochin Bantam, Dark Cornish, Delawares, Dominiques, Easter Eggers, Egyptian Fayoumis, Gold Laced Wyandotte Bantam, Golden Penciled Hamburgs, Lavender Ameracauna, Light Brahmas, Light Sussex, Mille De Fleur, New Hampshire Reds, Partridge Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Silkies, Silver Phoenix, Speckled Sussex, White Rocks and some Polish mixes.

We plan on keeping the EE's, Marans, Giants, Ameracaunas, Brahmas, Sussex, adding Welsummers, Wheaten Marans, Blue Marans, Birchen Marans, Barnevelders, Coronation Sussex, and of course, Legbars and Rhodebars. I would also like to have a mating pair of Bielefelders....someday.

That is our story thus far....stay tuned!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Wow, you got in deep! LOL Have fun with your future ventures!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, fallsfamilyfarm, and [​IMG]! happy to have you in our "cult." [​IMG] That is quite a collection of breeds you have there - best of luck to you!

5. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] "The cult" that's a cute name for this community of like minded individuals. Welcome to BYC.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] &[​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome from NC. Wow you guys had a serious case of chicken math going on! [​IMG] Good luck with your breeding plans.

9. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    Welcome From Cold Colorado [​IMG]

10. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Welcome from your neighboring state.[​IMG] There is an Okies on the BYC thread that you would probably enjoy if you haven't found it already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by