Feathered Leg Gene (( Pics added Post #12 ))

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RL, May 24, 2010.

1. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    Does the feathered leg gene come from the Roo, the Hen or both? If you matted a non-feathered leg Roo like a Silver laced Wyandotte to say a Light Braham hen would you expect the chicks to have feathered legs or not? I have some chicks that hatched out that look like they could be from my Light Braham hens, but none have feathered legs or pea combs, they all have either single or rose combs. I am just try to figure out who the mom could be. I know should have pics. I will post some tomorrow.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. gdana2

gdana2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Midland
    I could be wrong, but I believe the feathered leg gene comes from the roo. I incubated eggs earlier this year with a Buff Brahma Roo and non-feathered leg hens and all chicks had feather legs.

3. RL

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I was thinking that was the case. I also have some chicks from my Light Brahma Roo and Barred Rock and Production Red hens and they too have feathered legs and it looks like most have pea combs. I just saw a few pics of chicks from non-feathered leg Roos and feathered leg hens and they had clean legs. So I guess to have feathered leg chicks you got to use a feathered leg Roo. So now I know.

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Here is a pic of 1 of our chicks that recently hatched. Mom is a Light Brahma. Roo is a Red Star (clean legged)
    [​IMG]
    As you can see this little one has feathered legs.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I would think you'd see feathered shanks.

6. RL

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I thought so too. Maybe the chicks are not from my LB hens. I will post pics tomorrow and maybe we can figure out who the mom is.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are three genes for feathered legs; none are sexlinked (meaning that they come from BOTH parents). Two are incompletely dominant; meaning that if present in the bird, they will show. They cannot be hidden, and one two copies will have more feathering than a single copy. One gene is recessive. Pti^1 has two foot feathered alleles as well as the wild-type not-foot feathered allele; Pti^1B is found in brahmas; Pti^1L is found in langshans.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:In your case the feathered legs came from the cock only; because he was the only parent with feathered legs. A cross where the hen is feather legged and the cock is not should result in the same outcome for the chicks.

If either parent has only one copy of a gene for feathered legs, each offspring has a 50/50 chance of inheriting that gene.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have done several cochin crosses- sometimes the roo is the cochin, sometimes the hen is. Every chick had less-than-perfect-cochin leg feathering. I haven't had any clean-legged.

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:any of them have feather on their mid toe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by