Feathered Raspberry Thieves !

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Barry Natchitoches, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    My organic raspberry patch is producing beautiful, plump, fresh red raspberries. And yes, my blooming raspberry patch can be seen from the fenced in chicken yard.

Last year, I only had one henhouse, so I allowed my second rooster and his two hens to roam in my garden. But they were feathered garden wreckers, so before this gardening year got underway, I built another housing area and penned up the garden wreckers.

They have watched the lovely red strawberries mature and then be harvested from the inside of their fenced in Poultry Stalag.

They have watched the tomatoes ripen on the vine, and their little beaks probably salivated with the ripening of each and every one of those bright, orange red globes.

But they exercised enough self control to stay in their own little home and chicken yard.

But now, those wonderful, juicy, red raspberries are ripening before their eyes.

And I guess it was just too much for my Raspberry Thieving Roo.

This afternoon, I went outside to harvest today's mature raspberries, only to find that my roo and his favorite hen were already out there eating any and all raspberries that were around their height.

He and his hen had to fly over a six foot wire fence to get into that garden. But they did it...

What chickens will do for the taste of fresh, vine ripened, red raspberries...

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    it was berrylicious!!!

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    [​IMG]

I watched in horror as mine discovered where the garden is the other day. Maggie Sussex was the brave one, marching through the hole in the fence like it was there just for her. I watched from the window to see what she'd do. A grasshopper jumped and she pounced. She walked past cucumbers and ripe tomatoes and just kept hunting insects. I wanted to kiss her! The garden fence is only 3' -- the intent was to keep out rabbits. I've witnessed Gertrude EE fly onto the coop roof without so much as a running start so I know it's barely a hop for most of my flock. BUT, I'm hoping there is enough other food around that they won't bother the garden much. Wishful thinking, perhaps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by