1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feathering in differently then my others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickventure, Apr 11, 2016.

1. chickventure

chickventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    California
    I am worried if this chick is lacking something nutrition wise or if this feathering stage normal? Also what age can you start seeing roo versus hen ? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks normal to me, actually. [​IMG] Some chicks feather in super duper ugly, and then improve with age. I guess the way to tell if your baby is healthy is by studying how it's acting. If it's up and running around, energetic, eating, and drinking properly, then I would say that it's perfectly fine!

You can usually, for me, anyway, tell the cockerels from the pullets starting at about 4 weeks of age. Keep in mind, though, that some boys will fool you for a very long time and then all of a sudden, "Surprise! I'm a young roo!" [​IMG]

~Alex

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  3. chickventure

chickventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    California
    Thank you very much, feel better now :) yep acting normal and is kinda a favorite now the it started to be friendlier

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome! [​IMG] Actually, can I be honest with you? I think it's adorable!

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by