Feathering like girls? and Golden Comet, Male or female? Pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by animalsroc4evr, Mar 25, 2012.

1. animalsroc4evr

animalsroc4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Hi all,

I got my chicks on Monday (3-19) so they are about a week old. We picked up what was supposed to be 10 Cockerels(5 Road Island Reds and 5 Barred rock) and 4 Pullets (2 Easter Eggers and 2 Golden Comets) . However 2 of the RIRs are feathering like my for sure girls... is it ok to assume (and therefore name) the chicks are girls since they are feathering just like the girls? (see Pictures below) Also one of my Golden Comets is feathering like a boy... I read that they are color sexed, this chick isn't yellow (or white) and looks like the other chick that is feathering just like a pullet should... Is it possible I have a cockerel even though he is that golden color? (picture below as well). thanks in advance!

[​IMG] Golden Comets, is one a roo?

[​IMG] RIR hen?

[​IMG]Another hen?

[​IMG] Almost positive the rest are roos (which will make my dad happy).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. jennylove21326

jennylove21326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Seneca, SC
    My buff Orpington looks like that one up top. His/Her wings have grown in more in the past couple of days, but they are that same color you are seeing. But I can't be of any help because this is my first time with chickens.

[​IMG]

3. animalsroc4evr

animalsroc4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Very cute chick! Maybe they are Buff Orpingtons?? I'd love it if they were, but if they are that means my "Golden Comet" colored girl is really a boy... hmmm Anyone want to confirm my Golden Comets are really Comets and not Orps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by