Feathering Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Broodica, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I have almost 2 week old mallards who are already developing tail feathers. I also have two 3 week old Mallard and Rouen who have just started getting tail feathers. I see pics of other little guys all who seem to be feathering out waaaaaay before my older ducklings. Is it normal for them to have such a difference in feathering out times? It's weird especially when my big galoot of a Rouen and older mallard seem to be less mature feathering-wise than my little 2 week olds. Also the older ones tail feathers so far just look like slightly feathery sticks. I've been trying to find pictures of different feathering out stages in ducklings, but haven't been successful.

Should I add this to the list of stuff I am worrying about as a newbie??

2. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Just as a PS: I have read that if the temp is too warm it can slow down feathering out, with the opposite as well....keep it cooler and they will feather out faster?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mine feathered out at what seemed a normal rate, starting with tail feathers.

I wonder if your older ones might have some kind of nutritional imbalance (I suspect that nutritional needs vary a bit individual to individual). How much protein are they getting? I associate protein and feather growth.

***edit: just looked at your other post - sounds like they are getting plenty of protein. I would just watch and if everything else seems normal, chalk it up to late bloomers.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  4. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    They seem fine otherwise. They eat like pigs......I mean ducklings! The older ones have been up to 27% protein for about 5 days before I freaked out about the angel wing thing. Anyway, will keep my eye on them. Thanks so much for answering, Amiga!

5. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Mine have been getting their belly feathers and now their feathers near their wings. The Pekins I just noticed today have a lot of feathers right by their wings. Everyone looks like they have spots with and without feathers. I have not had the heat lamp on them unless they get a lot of water in their pen. Mine are 5 weeks old on Monday. I have Jumbo pekins, Welsh Harlequins, and mallards

6. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Quote:Wow...5 weeks old...dang. So I will not worry about the feathering out issue at this point. Now I am finding that the older mallard and Rouen are pecking each other tail feathers out....something else to try and figure out.

Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it!

7. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well take my advice/experience with a grain of salt as these are my first ducks [​IMG] But I thought I would chime in with what mine are doing. They seem to be healthy and happy and are doing great so far.

8. Broodica

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Quote:My first time as well....learning some great lessons - like how much easier chicks are! But I've fallen in love with these little menaces. Watching them closely. Someone suggested putting in some cat toys to keep them amused.

9. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I actually did have those little plastic cat balls with the little rattle thing inside of it. My ducks had actually fun with them, but ditched them at 3 weeks. Now they are full grown and mess with my toys. Like the cat scoop I use for scattering pine shavings onto the floor. They steal it at night and I find it in someones bed/nesting box in the morning. This morning they figured out how to get onto the feed bid (with lid on it) to get the 'king" lookout view. They are so hilarious at times. They like to get into trouble and know that they are doing wrong. This morning they came out of the duck house and raised to the koi pond, which is off limits to them. They know that but went for it. They hauled butt when we got to the koi pond. You never know what the big boy comes up with next. The girls always follow him blindly. They are so smart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by