feathering - questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karmlacres, Mar 29, 2011.

1. karmlacres

karmlacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    Is the feathering out of chicks have any relation to their gender?

I hatched 5 chicks about 10 days ago. I had found an older post about checking wing feathers at 3-4 days of age (hens having more than roos). With that approach, I think I have 3 hens and 2 roos. I realize this isn't a guaranteed method or anything, but thought I'd try the early sexing just to see if it works.

I have 2 Blue Copper Marans, 2 Black Copper Marans and 1 Splash Orpington.

But I've noticed that one of the BCM has major tail feathering going on that the other 4 do not. A recent post mentioned that a pullet will start getting tail feathers earlier than a cockerel. This scares me to think I have 4 roos and only 1 hen!

How much is breed a factor in how the feathering out takes place? I'm still going to contend that the first to hatch - the splash orp - is a roo. He's been nasty and mean since he hatched! What a shame as he's going to be gorgeous, but he can't stick around if he's mean.

Anyways, just looking for comments on the feathering out of chicks and their relation to their gender. Again, it's more just for fun to see these methods/theories work.

Thanks in advance!

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I have heard the same thing, but (to add to to the hear-say) I have also heard that it is very breed dependent. Sometimes there is no difference between male and female feathering. I am not sure with the breeds you hatched. (fun hatch by the way).

Maybe someone else will know more?

3. Michie

Michie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    San Antonio
    I just hatched a BCM and the breeder knew the day he was hatched when I showed her the picture because of the leg coloring(I think black means roo or white, IDK something with the legs), but his comb started growing very fast. Hes only 3 weeks old and has a significant comb. Hope that helps with the BCMs!

4. Michie

Michie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    San Antonio
    Heres what she wrote about my BCM roo. The feet have very little black overlay, which usually means boy! I guess mine has more white?? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by