Feathering "Speed"

MandaMunky

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Hi there!!

So, I was browsing around the net & on BYC here & I've noticed quite a few articles regarding "feathering in" - what I'm wondering is when does this usually happen? Do pullets feather in faster than cockerels? Do certain breeds feather in faster than others? &&&& My MOST prying question... once they start to feather in are the color of those first feathers an indication of what color they will be as an adult bird? Or does feather coloration develop over time?

THANKS!

Amanda

PS - I'm especially very curious about any info regarding the Golden Sex-Links!! I have a little one who is two weeks old... she started out with a definite yellow, rusty color (no clearly evident stripes) but "her" feathers on her wings & tail, although EXTREMELY long, are pretty stinking white! I'm afraid I have a roo, which I would absolutely love to keep, but I'm in a neighborhood where it cannot be a nuisance & most of all... I have a three year old son who I cannot tolerate having a rotten roo around. My fingers are crossed for an excellent outcome - best case scenario = pullet!! HOWEVER, I'd also love a quiet, friendly roo!

My chicks are usually all feathered out by 6-8 weeks, though they go through a light molt every couple months until they are full grown. Is that the sex-link in question? It doesn't look like a sex-link to me, though it is a little confusing that it had rusty feathers at first. I'm not sure what to tell you.

Usually females feather in faster than males and I do believe that same breeds may feather in quicker than others. And not every chick will turn out with the same colors it was born with. I've seen all brown Easter eggers turn out black and white. It depends on the breed, usually it's mixed breeds that will surprise you

My chicks are usually all feathered out by 6-8 weeks, though they go through a light molt every couple months until they are full grown. Is that the sex-link in question? It doesn't look like a sex-link to me, though it is a little confusing that it had rusty feathers at first. I'm not sure what to tell you.

LOL its supposed to be a sex link, but you're the second person that has questioned that. So, I'm to the point where I'm not even sure anymore?

I guess it's just going to be a waiting game!

Is there any chance the chick pictured could be a BO?

Usually females feather in faster than males and I do believe that same breeds may feather in quicker than others. And not every chick will turn out with the same colors it was born with. I've seen all brown Easter eggers turn out black and white. It depends on the breed, usually it's mixed breeds that will surprise you

It's definitely going to be fun watching these little ones grow! I also have an EE & she's all brown! I'm anxious to see how she turns out :)

Quote: I'm not totally sure...it has the yellow body and legs but the wing feathers are pretty light colored, or maybe that is just the lighting. It looks a little to stocky to be a leghorn. Goodness, this chick is confusing!!! Maybe it is a sex-link rooster?

Last edited:
I'm starting to think the rooster theory is the right one. It is a super stocky little one & I looked st them the am & "her" little comb is really starting to grow. Still very yellow but definitely had a growth spurt overnight.

My son is so attached to this chick. He named her Pineapple & talks about her all day & night. I just really hope it's either a hen or a wonderful friendly, mostly quiet rooster.

Back
Top Bottom