featherless chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nykipep, Jul 5, 2010.

1. nykipep

nykipep New Egg

Jul 5, 2010
    i have 5 chicks about 9 or ten weeks old, all are doing very well, growing, look good etc.. except one. it is small and skinny and has no feathers on its back or at the base of its neck. not sure if i have male or females yet. is the chick sick and how do i tell if my chicks are hens or roos?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

don't know but let me bump this up.
    Anyone?

3. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    could just be a runt and is maturing slower than the others. they could be pecking on him. Do you have any pics? [​IMG]

4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Or it could be a rooster! Post some pictures, especially of the area where you think the feathers should be and are not, and with your other chicks for comparison. [​IMG]

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Do you know the breeds?

6. nykipep

nykipep New Egg

Jul 5, 2010
    i do not know the breed, 2 are white one is brown and 2 are black, the one i'm worried about is black, i'll post pic's tomorrow for comparison
    there are some feathers trying to come in but the chick has some bare spots on its wings too, it seems a little slower than the other chicks too, they come right to me and follow me right out to their coop in the evening and all seem to know the routine (they are free-range) they stay around and they are really cool but the little one stays back and always gets lost on the way to the coop and then looks around and peeps until i coax her with food, we thought maybe it was just a runt and not as clever as the others... hmm
    thanks for the posts

7. nykipep

nykipep New Egg

Jul 5, 2010
    one more thing, the other chicks don't seem to pick on her/him when they are out, is it possible that they peck at it in the coop? we started with 6 chicks and the very first night one didn't make it, my husband found it and said it looked like it had been trampled...

8. nykipep

nykipep New Egg

Jul 5, 2010
    pic's look like the post labeled "whats wrong with his feathers" on this page

9. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:It is more likely it had died from a internal reason and was THEN trampled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by