1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Featherless chickens?!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Llysse, Apr 5, 2007.

1. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    From the article:
    "No feathers, no waste, less processing costs and less water use during processing. Even more interesting is that these birds do not waste costly nutrients for developing useless feathers."
    [​IMG]
    IMO?
    OH MY GOD! Just because we can doesn't mean we should!

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a more humane treatment of all creatures meant for the dinner table and God knows there's lots of room for improvement in all 'meat processing' industry, but featherless chickens? UGH!

[​IMG]

2. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    In Arizona? With summer coming up, I'd have fried chicken "on the hoof" so to speak. I don't feel that God intended for chickens to not have feathers.

3. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I second that one chicken-mama. if GOD wanted them to have no feather he would have made them that way.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I just have one thing to say......PUHLEEEZE!!!!!! Give the poor chickens a break! WHY??? Why would you want to do that!??? I mean, hairless dogs....hairless cats...now featherless chickens?? UGH!!!! [​IMG]

5. chickenmomva

chickenmomva Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Northern Neck,VA
    Ok that is really nasty..........so if in the store the package says free range and organic and stuff like that so will it say NAKED CHICKEN instead..........I hope it does so I dont buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thun

6. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    lol I just thought of something funny. Last week we planned on eating chicken (still store bought ones, unfortunately...) and my daughter wanted to help. We decided to marinate the chicken, and I asked my daughter to rub it down. Next thing I know, she's got the chicken up on its 'feet' and making it dance! I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself! Now I can just picture a whole flock of naked, sun-crisped chickens running around! OMG! I like my chicken crispy, but this takes the cake! lol [​IMG]

7. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    OMG, I used to do that with my kids! I used to make a bok bok noise too; they still say 'remember when you used to chase us with the bok bok chickens?' [​IMG]

Sorry, I know this is off the topic, but I know you will forgive me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by