Featherless rump

littlecommet

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
We've had chickens for over a year now (raised them when they were chicks) I had another account named: Chickenlovr but I haven't gotten on to this place since forever so I guess it logged me off and I never saved the password I was sent.
But anyhoo,
My chicken has a featherless, pink, chicken skinned butt.

Pictures:
Chicken9.jpg

chicken1.jpg

Chicken10.jpg

We thought she might be pecking them (as I've read) but she has so much to do to keep her from doing this. We let them out everyday, they have a huge coop:
Chicken8.jpg

We give them treats, feed them, clean water, etc.
Maybe it was the bedding were using for the nesting box and maybe she was alergic to it. So we changed it from hay (heard some rumors about it anyway) to just regular bedding that each chicken uses and she's the only one getting the featherless rump.
She's very high on the pecking order (she chases us and stares us down, pecks the other chickens occasionally[very occasionally]. She's slow though from a sickness she had when she was young [treated]) So we don't think the other chickens are pecking them out.

She's had it for awhile and I can't seem to find a lot about it (am I not searching the right words?) and it doesn't seem to bother her from what we can tell.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

I'm having the same problem with a couple of my redstars. they are about a year old raised them from chicks, over the winter I noticed there rumps getting bare and pink. looked for lice/mites none found, gave them cat food for higher protien didn't help cleaned there coop and dust with DE and put in food. no change! all look healthy otherwise. my guess is boredom set in and there picking. good luck

I would venture to say you need busy work with good towards the hens

I would give the hens a feeder of whole horse oats
and ofcourse mineralizd granite grit

buy the mineralized red grit for pigeons and forget the added vitamins. generally Kytee or Red Cross sell
it at feed stores where pigeon feed is sold.
they get both vitamins and minerals, feed the M. grit free choice as you do oyster shell

for the probiotic I recommend this:
1 gallon dry hen crumbles
1 cup yougart
2 gallon of buttermilk
mix good and feed 3-5 times a week 3-4 tbsp of wet mash per bird.
then 5 ays a week put in the gallon of water
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. you get it at a health food store. has to have the brown mother in bottom of jar.
shake good to get some in the tbsps used.
you can give it the 5 days you like and will do more good than any of the added vitamins

also feed 16-18% laying crumbles and very little if any scratch grains
the scratch grains are not really what produces eggs. The whole horse oats will be their treat

Try this and always keep crumbles in front of them
After feeding what they eat in 20-30 minutes of the wet mash probiotic
cleand the wet feeder out and restok the dry crumbles

this will do more for the regrowth of feathers than you can imagine
Usually a hen that lays heavily will have a time when her feather get rubbed off
she will have till she molts till the new feathers grow back
I think the feather folicles have been damaged

Ok.
Let me get this all together and right.
You would like me to:
1. Feed my chicken whole horse oats
2. Mineralized granite grit (red grit without vitamins)
"they get both vitamins and minerals, feed the M. grit free choice as you do oyster shell "

So you want vitamins?
3. Mixed all together:
1 gallon dry hen crumbles
1 cup yogurt
2 gallon of buttermilk
mix good and feed 3-5 times a week 3-4 tbsp of wet mash per bird.
Then 5 days a week put in the gallon of water:
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. You get it at a health food store; has to have the brown mother in bottom of jar.
shake good to get some in the tbsps used.
you can give it the 5 days you like and will do more good than any of the added vitamins (so instead of vitamins, you want me to give them this water?)
4. Also feed 16-18% laying crumbles and very little if any scratch grains. The scratch grains are not really what produces eggs. The whole horse oats will be their treat. (so just crumbles and little of any scratch grains?)
Horse oats will be a treat? So I don't need to feed it everyday?

So all of this for one chicken? Not all of them? Or...?

Thank you so much!
And we completely cleaned out the coop with a powerwash (not sure if that gets rid of mites) a few days ago. So I'll check if there are any today.​

Back
Top Bottom