Featherless Show birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Peaches Lee, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Is it normal to show chickens that have picked the feathers off their backs, and have no feathers on their heads? I realize showing is very stressful, but I don't remember the chickens last year at my fair looking so, poorly. I don't know if it's because now I know what to look for in chickens having had them now, or if these birds were not in the best shape to begin with. [​IMG] All the birds came from the same owners. A lot of the roosters tail feathers were broken and not smooth, is that normal for a show chicken because of the smaller cage? I was really looking forward to this year's chickens at the fair and was just wondering if this is what to expect?

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Well, the County Fairs are notorious for allowing things that shouldn't be allowed. At an ABA or APA sanctioned show the condition of the bird is very important and they would most likely be disqualified. They definitely would not win anything.

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:You will see that at the small local fairs especially in with the juniors who hav every little parental support in the hobby. However a bird in the condition descibed should not have been there.
    You will not see that at a real show, the APA, ABA, Breed club and Local Poultry Club shows you may see a broken feather but very seldom, The owners and exhibitors of poultry at these shows take a great deal of pride in thier birds and the previous years breeding efforts.

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Oh, poor little things! Last year the condition of the birds were great. They even had a lovely pair of Sumatras there. This year, I don't know what went wrong. I have 3 roosters currently caged while I get their new pens and flocks organized and their feathers are robust and not broken, but I thought maybe it's because I let them out at night and they have a large kennel. It kind of sucks because there isn't a very good showing of poultry there, in their prime. The poor little birds are bare on their heads and backs...[​IMG]
    Thank you for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by