1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

featherless

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazyfeathers, Oct 29, 2013.

1. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Hi I have some concerns. First can I put something on the backs of my pullets I purchased them from an auction and almost all of them are missing their back or tail feathers. I have separated the worst ones and removed the feather eater from the flock. Also I read that feather eating is a sign of low protein and kitten food should be given, has anyone heard this or have a better suggestion. I am in Wisconsin and was wondering at what temperature should I leave their heat lamps on. If my pullets are not free ranging should I give them more than just feed? I am crazy about my chickens and I want my new flock to be as happy as my older girls. Thanks in advance, Crazy Feathers... thank you

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    bare backs and tails can also be from over active roosters, poor feather growth can be caused by alot of things. protein and vitamin deficiencies being the main causes.

cat foot is a descent source of temporary protein, but to much can be toxic to chickens. at the bottom of this link it talks about issues feeding poultry cat food:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

i have used it after molts and stress, and some during the winter and have never noticed any issues, but i never give more than a couple handfuls a week to 3-5 chickens.

get some vitamin and electrolytes mix and put in their water. use a good mix made for chickens/poultry, turkey starter is high in protein if you want a quick temporary boost.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Don't put anything on them, and don't worry about heat. Just give them good care, lots of space and good food, with some extra protein, and let them regrow their feathers naturally. It will happen sooner than you think, they'll be sleek and healthy.

4. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    I second the possible rooster too, if you have one make some chicken "saddles". There are patterns on here. Also you may need "picking ointment" as it is also a sign of boredom and becomes a learned habit. I hope they enjoy their new home:)

5. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Thank you for the feedback. I will look into Turkey starter as I am sure I can find it at my local feed store. I don't have a rooster in with my young hens I think that they were over crowded, poorly feed or bored. I did catch one hen pulling out another's feathers and eating them. Thanks for the link on kitten food, I would not have known that information. Also I did remove the feather eater "Jay" and will try to put her back in a week or so and see if she shapes up lol. I have learned my lesson about buying chickens from an auction, I should have checked them over much better than I did so I knew exactly the condition of each bird. 2 of the young hens have died which I know is not uncommon, but hopefully that will be all the deaths i will suffer with this new flock. I was so eager for astrolop, silver laced wynotts and MEH I guess I jumped the gun. Live and learn. Thanks everyone.

6. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Thanks for your optimism. I fret over my chickens terribly, I just want them to be happy and
    Healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by