1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

featherloss in hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyunderwood307, Dec 3, 2012.

1. amyunderwood307

amyunderwood307 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    A few weeks ago I noticed one hens feathers were missing on her back...time has gone on and she's losing more. What could this be? I'm worried because winter is coming and she's losing more feathers ...help! [​IMG]. This is from a week ago

2. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Is she molting or does she have mites? What are the other symptoms?

3. amyunderwood307

Mar 31, 2012
    We have checked for mites and haven't seen anything...and how can you tell if its molting versus mites? She's really just losing feather on her back and near here vent. But isn't acting sick or anything. All the others are fine.

4. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
  5. amyunderwood307

Mar 31, 2012
    He is extremely aggressive to me and kind of to the hens. I see him mate her a lot, but her backs not bloody. Just featherless...my first thought was the rooster then I thought mites maybe. Thanks for the link!

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It really looks like rooster wear and tear. How many hens do you have with him? If there aren't enough hens there usually tends to be one or two that become favorites and get a little too much attention. Might try getting a chicken saddle for her until she molts and gets new feathers.

7. amyunderwood307

Mar 31, 2012
    There are 5 hens total. And I do see him mating her a lot. I'm just worried aboutt the winter with her losing feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by