1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feathers all over the cage - wing is bare

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by macsducks, Oct 15, 2012.

1. macsducks

macsducks New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    i have 4 ducks - 2 rouen claires and 2 welsh harlequins (2 males, 2 females). they are over a year old. i went in the cage this morning and one of the welsh harlequins (the female) was missing a lot of her wing feathers. her wing bones are exposed. the feathers are all over the cage. i am not sure what to think. any ideas/advice? this is our first duck illness and i wasn't able to find much online. should i separate her from the other ducks? thanks for any information you can offer.

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a duck person, however, could it be she's molting? I have one poor hen that's in molt right now that looks as though she exploded overnight (feathers are everywhere).

3. macsducks

macsducks New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    i am new to duck-raising so it certainly could be molting. it just seems so extreme. feathers everywhere. and her bare feather "bones" are showing all over her wing. she just looks so thin. i hope you are right - molting would be a great answer! thanks for responding.

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Not a moult issue.... separate her NOW - she is being victimised - moulting does not result in such damage - she will thrive when she is away from her current companions! Get her back to full health before exposing her to the former housing - she will only suffer if she is left with the dominant ones.

Suzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by