Feathers are everywhere!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Live Oak Farms 01, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Live Oak Farms 01

Live Oak Farms 01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Our 12-13wk Red Star, BO, Cinnamon Queens seem to be losing way more feathers then usual. Their are feathers EVERYWHERE.
    Could this be from heat??
    Are they getting ready to lay? A friends starting laying at 4 months.
    Whenever they fly, peck or roll in the dust, lots, I mean lots, of feathers are always left behind.
    It doesnt seem to be a molt, it has been going on for a month.

Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Chicks do partial molts until they mature. I think I read they do one full molt then 3 partial molts before maturity. My juvies have feathers everywhere. So do my adults but they are going through their yearly molt.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Might want to check them for lice or mites, too. But most likely, they're just doing a teenage molt!

4. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    It's probably their juvenile molt. Ours went on for months. I'm told chickens change all their feathers twice by the time they reach their adult size. If they don't have mites or lice and are otherwise acting normally, I wouldn't worry about it, just clean up the mess.

5. Live Oak Farms 01

Live Oak Farms 01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks, it has slowed down.

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My guy and gals are also leaving feathers everywhere. I've been collecting them up and giving them to the chicks to play with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by