feathers are gone after an attack of mites and roster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chari, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Chari

Chari Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    What can I do to help my little frizzle batam hen get her feathers back after a mite and roster attack I have cleaned the cope good ,and the roster is gone but she is all but naked, she has no wounds. Will the outher hens pick on her?
    thanks,
    Ruthann:(

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have an aussie girl that had a few roos get her back tore up pretty good.. Now the feathers wont grow back until she molts, if picking continues you can purchase her a saddle/apron to protect her back otherwise she will be fine .. My aussie hasnt been picked on or anything but she does get lil sunburnt...

3. Chari

Chari Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    Thank you so much is there any thing I can do or give her to help with feather growth.

4. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    how did you get rid of the mites?

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Making sure the bird gets plenty of protein would help with feather regrowth. You can blenderize high quality dry cat food to cut it down to size and throw them all a few handfuls. Or scramble eggs for them, or give BOSS.

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Some of my chickens had[​IMG] to wear aprons because of a frisky rooster,he has been gone for awhile now and none have aprons anymore

7. Chari

Chari Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    Thanks you all for all the help. I used dawn dish soap and gave them a good bath and then dipped them in poltry protecter. We cleaned the coop from top to bottom.Thanks again.
    Ruthann:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by