Feathers are off of there back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rakerjen, Sep 30, 2011.

1. rakerjen

rakerjen New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    I have 6 chickens total and the ones that are darker colored are losing there feathers on there back towards there bottom. My white chickens are fine though. This has been going on for about a month and now that spot on there back towards there bottom are completely bald. I have a pic but i'm not sure how to add it to here.

Here is the Pic
    [​IMG]

Not that good of a pic but it was dark when i was taking it. I will try to get a better one.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Do you have a rooster? The lower back area is where a rooster mounts a hen and quite often she will have a bare patch there, especially if she is one of the roo's favorites.

3. rakerjen

rakerjen New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    There is no rooster.

4. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Agreed- sounds like a rooster (if you dont have a roo though, we need to know what else is going on)

Edited to add: Are any of the birds picking on that chicken?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. rakerjen

rakerjen New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    There is nothing else going on. A few months ago we had a rooster but we got rid of it. This just started about a month ago. And like I said my white ones look beautiful. My red ones and a silver laced wyan. look like there is somthing wrong with the bear spot. They do seem to be heathy though. Could it be the weather change?? We are in MI

6. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Im new at this but it doesnt look like a weather related thing. Has she ever lost feathers anywhere else on her body like that? Have you checked them for mites/lice?

If not, and you're unsure how to do that, just search this site for "how to look for mites" or something like that. There are lots of threads on that topic.

7. rakerjen

rakerjen New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    There are 3 total that have spots that are exactly like that. Im gonna look the mites up. Thanks!

8. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    No problem. Glad I was able to help a little. I gotta say, its definitely odd. Hope youfigure out what the problem is soon. Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by