Feathers around coop, yard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WagarFamilyFarm, Aug 18, 2008.

1. WagarFamilyFarm

WagarFamilyFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Nashville, IN
    Hello all,
    We've got a flock of 26, what seem to be, healthy chickens. They are eating well, drinking well, and nothing seems to be amiss. But there are feathers everywhere: in the coop, under the coop, and all around the yard where they are fenced. Is a certain amount of feather loss normal?
    Thanks!
    Farm Mama

2. Chickenfiend

Chickenfiend Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    Bellville OH
    My guess is that your chickens are molting. I actually havent raised chickens yet but i have had many other and they had the same problem. It is normal but lets see what others think also.

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

We only have 3 chickens and I find feathers here, there & everywhere! Mine are not molting, I think it's probably normal feather loss (in the case of my birds anyway!) Probably nothing to worry about.

4. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    First of all chickenfiend [​IMG] . I think the feather loss is completely normal. My neighbor has turkeys that lose feathers like this, and they certainly aren't molting. I can't speak for my chickens...they're only 5 weeks old! [​IMG]

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

it IS around molting season [​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Yeah it seems like I am always raking or just picking, so the feathers dont blow into the neighbors yard.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Moults tend to run at different times of the year depending on the chicken. I have a few girls moulting. A couple look like porcupines and it's quite obvious. Others don't look visibly different, but if you pull their plumage back, you can see the new shafts developing underneath. The slow moulters drop a feather here and there and you may not even notice they went through a complete moult that year, except to notice random feathers around the coop and yard.

Jody

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I also have a few birds and this is totally normal we find feathers all the time, even when they are not molting, just sit and watch them for a few minutes and they will get excited over something make some noise and then a feather is in the air. not to worry.

AL

9. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    I am experiencing the same exact thing! I have 21 hens and 1 rooster that are all between 19 and 23 weeks. I have had feathers all around also, but they seem happy and content.......they are all well feed and watered and a few are even laying now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by