Feathers becoming fuzzy and soft in adult OEGB Bantams

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LuvMyChikkies, Feb 9, 2013.

1. LuvMyChikkies

LuvMyChikkies New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    When I obtained these birds each had the hard feathering with beautiful shine that they are supposed to have. I probably got around 8 birds at that time, and all of them were fine. Three of these birds, 2 cocks and a hen, have developed soft, fuzzy feathers starting at their hackles, going over the entire breast and over the back. There is no shine, no hardness. I feed Dumor Layer crumbles feed and they also get oats, kelp, alfalfa pellets. They also get other treats such as vegetables, pasta, and bread. About once every ten days I give them a vitamin/mineral supplement in their water for 24 hours. The birds are acting okay, but clearly something is wrong and I need to figure it out before they all look like this.
    The only other things that I can think of that they have been given is 1/2 strength Denagard about 8 weeks ago, and I wormed them with Ivermectin topical.
    I would appreciate any input. I am open to suggestions as to specific supplements or basic diet that others have had success with in raising OEGBs.
    Thank you.

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Is it at all possible that they are molting, and perhaps the down is showing through?

3. LuvMyChikkies

LuvMyChikkies New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    Isn't an odd time of year for them to begin molting? If they are molting, how will this affect the spring breeding season?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by