Feathers died! :hit

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Delta1_05, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Delta1_05

Delta1_05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Feathers is ill.

She stopped ,laying about a year ago, but didn't show to be ill until a few months prior to now. She'd stand next to the water and food, and not move besides to eat or drink. She lost all the spark she used to have chasing and pecking the other chickens, and flying onto whatever she could.

Recently she hasn't even been eating. She just stands under a tree and doesn't move until it's time to go back to the roost, at which time she shuffles along slowly and stiffly hops up and goes to sleep until the next day, when she hops down and goes to stand under the tree again, etc. etc. etc.

Poor Feathers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I had this same thing happen to my girl Blondie. She stopped laying and went from being active and healthy to lethargic.
    She finally passed the first big heat wave we had this year. [​IMG]
    It sounds like your girl is tired, too.

3. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    how old is she?

4. Delta1_05

Dec 23, 2010
    She's going to be three years old in September. [​IMG]

easttx: sounds like exactly what's happening to old Feggers. [​IMG] She might hit the bucket this coming summer then. I hope she makes it until then, she's always been a fan of the winter [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like possible internal laying to me. Is her abdomen swollen? I'm sorry for your girl. [​IMG]

6. Delta1_05

Dec 23, 2010
    I don't know what's going on [​IMG]

Here's an update: Last night, we went to feed her some garlic in case she had an infection, and I saw for the first time what state she's in. She hasn't eaten for days, and she's so weak she can't stand up. She's squatting in the corner of the coop, her wings sagging down to the ground, unable to cluck or even move her head. I feel really bad for the poor thing! [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Feel her abdomen, do you feel anything? Can you feel an egg inside?

8. Delta1_05

Dec 23, 2010
    Feathers died. [​IMG]

I don't know how it happened, but she keeled over this morning when we were trying to feed her a bit of rice.

She spent her dying moments straining to reach out and peck LT and Cherry, who were eyeing the food. Typical!

We decided not to bury her, because there are a couple of feral cats next door who prowl all over the neighbourhood.

It's weird to see her in this little plastic bag, in the bin...

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Delta, I would imagine Happy Chooks is correct. My girl had some internal laying issues and they finally took her from me.
    Sorry you lost Feathers. [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by