1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feathers everywhere

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Trixieflower, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Trixieflower

Trixieflower Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    East Quogue, NY
    Our girls are 12 weeks old. They are healthy and fine, but suddenly there seem to be feathers all over the place. We are new to this chicken-thing. Is it normal to lose feathers at this age or time of year? Thanks.

2. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    mine are roughly 12 weeks old also, and i too see a lot of feathers. If I am not mistaken, they will go thru a sort of "mini-molt" as teenagers.

3. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    x 3 Same situation mine are 14 weeks. Any replies would be appreciiated.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    If I'm not mistaken, they are getting their adult plumage now. Mine made quite a mess around that age too. It was always funny how many feathers were on the floor but no one had any naked spots.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yup. They are doing a molt of their juvenile feathers. Your babies are growing up! [​IMG]

6. mylegger

mylegger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Mine did this too around 14 weeks. x2 Juvenile Molt.

7. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    mine are leaving feathers everywhere too,guy with the pool is looking at me funny now:(

8. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    minw started doing this too a couple of weeks ago, so at 14 weeks old . Glad someone asked !! I figured since they were all doing it, it was natural lol

9. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Yep--mine too..Ask a veteran chicken raiser---she said yes normal---dont worry...

10. Trixieflower

Trixieflower Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    East Quogue, NY
    Thanks everybody! We are learning new things all the time...so enjoyable. I appreciate all of your responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by