We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Feathers falling out??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PennyM16, Jul 17, 2019.

1. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    My Rhode Island Red’s feathers are coming out in clumps- should I be concerned??? She’s pretty old, and it doesn’t seem like molting .-. Never seen this before. Could it be some sort of mites/lice? There’s no blood or anything, they’re just coming out in clumps. Please help!

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Does she have large bald areas where no new pin feathers appear? Or do you see pin feathers coming in on the back of her neck and butt and back?

It's not too early for fall molt to begin in the norther hemisphere is that's where "the chicken coop" is located.

Sequel likes this.
  3. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    Yes she does have bald areas. I don’t think it’s molting, they aren’t coming out slowly one by one and new ones coming in they’re literally coming out in clumps

Sequel likes this.
  4. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Lice wouldn't cause this, but mites could. You'd need to investgate the perches at night to see if there are mites coming out to feed on the chickens.

If she's the only one this is happening to, it's likely she has a health issue. Is she behaving all right? Or is she slowing down? Is her comb pale and floppy? Does she have a fatty bulge between her legs or below her vent? Any red, inflamed skin?

Sequel and RustiK like this.
  5. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    I will check for those things. Last night I checked their perch for mites and did not find any, only dust on it. It appears to be just her, I did not see anything on the others. What kind of health issue?? Is it serious? She was behaving fine last I checked on her (last night) she is pretty old, a little over 5 years

Sequel likes this.
  6. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    i offered her a piece of my bagel and she wouldn’t take it, which is strange because normally she’ll eat anything like that especially if it’s from me...also her poop is runny and somewhat orangey. She also has two of her toes kind of curling and one with a little lump on it. What’s up with that??? I checked for fatty lumps between her legs and under her vent like you said and both felt normal. Her feathers also stopped coming out. Weird!

Attached Files:

Sequel likes this.
  7. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Can we have a photo of that poop?

Just as it's impossible to determine what is making a human feel lethargic, tired, and have no appetite, it's also not possible to tell you what could be causing the health issue that could cause feathers to fall out.

It could be a simple dietary deficiency. She may have protein needs that aren't being sufficiently met, either by a poorly balanced feed or by diluting the protein in her diet with too many treats.

Sequel likes this.
  8. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    Yes I will go get one. Also, she is not at all lethargic. She is acting perfectly fine other than rejecting a treat.

Sequel likes this.
  9. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    Ok- ignore the dirt and scratch on it, that is not part of the dropping it just got kicked onto it

Attached Files:

Sequel likes this.
  10. PennyM16

PennyM16 Songster

Nov 14, 2018
    the chicken coop
    I also gave her a seed and worm scratch that she is eating I figured that has lots of protein

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: