Feathers,feathers everywhere and

Tim in Pa.

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
SW Pa.
Not and egg to be found:( Five of my six hens are molting heavy My monster sized White Rock molted earlier in the summer and no eggs from her either???Whats going on here? I knew the egg production would drop off during molt but nothing for 2 weeks now not one! Why is the big white rock going though egg shut down too? I was averaging 6 a day before this ..... and with the holidays coming we need EGGS! Ok how long will this feather flying mayhem gonna last?(plus they look reallllly bad) The Mrs. is putting the pressure on me,Its baking season
big_smile.png

Eggless in Pa.
tongue.png

Thanks,Tim

I have six black australorps A few are molting. Eggs are down. I miss having enough eggs! However, I am getting some eggs...so I guess I can count my blessings on that score! Good luck.

Tim, it usually takes more that a couple weeks for chickens to complete a molt. And, they usually don't lay during this entire process which you may as well think of as a 4 week break. You can speed things up a little by being sure that they have adequate protein in their diet so as to regrow feathers.

Early molting is not supposed to be a good sign but I really don't know why. Your White Rock may not be the most productive bird in the flock.

Daylight is failing - do they have a coop light?

Steve

digitS' :

Tim, it usually takes more that a couple weeks for chickens to complete a molt. And, they usually don't lay during this entire process which you may as well think of as a 4 week break. You can speed things up a little by being sure that they have adequate protein in their diet so as to regrow feathers.

Early molting is not supposed to be a good sign but I really don't know why. Your White Rock may not be the most productive bird in the flock.

Daylight is failing - do they have a coop light?

Steve

Your correct the white rock is not my most productive layer, The others are 2 black australopes,2 RR,and one buff orp. just strange how the 5 all decided to molt at the same time except big snow ball.Their food consumption is down also it seems. and no I didnt put a light in the coop didnt feel I needed it yet as there are many windows .Well I hope its only a month long process. Being Eggless for the first time in a year stinks on Ice:(

Heres and update on my non laying hens, Its been 6 weeks plus now and not one single egg from any of them? As a terrible thought My evil neighbor and I have been not on good terms as of late is there any way he could have gave them or fed them anything to stop them from laying?As I said just a thought? On the not so paranoid side they are all "re" feathered again ,Sooooo when am I gonna see some eggs!!!!!!! And is this normal.I'm starting to think Chicken for thanksgiving instead of turkey. HELP ME:(

Tim

up the protien for them ( I feed mine black oil sunflowers) thats what I have read in different posts ... worth a try
idunno.gif
not sure if it will help or not, but the girls could use the extra protien

i suspected my neighbor was stealing eggs too. I locked the gate and no difference. Good thing I never talked to anyone about my suspicions. More than a month later, just this past week, I am starting to get eggs again. I went from two or three, to six or eight. Last night I picked up nineteen. Stay strong, up their protein, and just hang in there. More eggs are coming, I am certain! If you sold them today, likely they would start to lay in the next few days, at least that is my guess of Murphy's egg laws... Been there, done that more than once. Just hang in there is all I can say. You'll be swimming in eggs soon and won't know what to do with them all.

Egads! Mine molted in late August and they arrived here as hatchlings in early June. Now I wonder if they should have molted at such a young age. They never even got to looking bad, just lots of feathers everywhere. They began to lay at 16 weeks ( early sept) and at 22 weeks I now get 10 eggs a day, so I figure maybe half of the 24 are laying now. Hearing of other's problems, I am dreading molting season next year.

Try Calf Manna. The increased protein will help re grow their feathers and just might jump-start them.
wink.png

Just an afterthought, but since you mentioned having neighbor trouble, you may want to put your water indoors overnight just in case he is slipping something into the water. When egg laying returns, bribe him with some eggs.

Its not your neighbor, you can't put something in the water to make them stop laying.
I hate to tell you but its going to be a while before you start getting eggs again.
A moult is their way of giving their body a break and its necessary.
My hens just got through with a moult that started in the flock over the summer.
I have 50 hens, some were too young to start laying, some were new layers and the other half were moulting and I had plenty of days where I got zero eggs or they graced me with one or two.
Not much you can do, give them enough protein and plenty of water and just wait.
Keep in mind that the shorter daylight hours are going to effect their laying as well, they usually slow down or even stop in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom