Feathers getting plucked out?

AnonPaperclip

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2017
One of our Favs is picked on... a lot. All of her saddle feathers are gone as well as her "beard" feathers. Is there anything I can get to treat her? I've heard blue-kote works, but I wanted to see of there was anything else in case we couldn't get it.

15084456399412086079926.jpg

I suffered a similar problem. In our case, we tried everything. If you have a persistent picker, there is no fixing the problem until you get rid of the pickers. One of the hens that was a picker was a bully even as a chick. If you have a bird like this, it might be the only solution. I would not recommend blue-kote because it is a pain to apply if you have even ten birds. I'd recommend using peepers, either pinless or pinned. For my flock, they helped deter all the hens except for the pickers. Hope this helps!

Poor little faverolles, is everyone picking on her or just one or two? If you can't get the blu-kote they've got this stuff called no pick that will make her taste nasty. In a pinch you can use blue food coloring instead of blu-kote but just know she will be blue for a very long time. :)

Can I piggyback on this thread, please? I was just coming to post nearly the same thing happening to my 27 week old buff Brahma hen. I DO have a Silkie rooster, same age, who I wonder if is a bit sadistic. Otherwise, my hen seems to be healthy, eating fine etc. She also seems to be the most submissive of the hens (I have 11). Some of the other hens seem to be losing feathers on their lower back as well, but nothing compared to this. All comments, suggestions are much appreciated.
IMG_4338.JPG

I would check for lice or mites to be on the safe side. She could be plucking her own feathers at her backside if she's itchy.
If that's all clear I would say the no peck. I've read that peepers can impair their vision in a way that free ranging is a bad idea. If you have them in a secure run then peepers would be next of no peck doesn't work.
That's My opinion at least.:)

Can I piggyback on this thread, please? I was just coming to post nearly the same thing happening to my 27 week old buff Brahma hen. I DO have a Silkie rooster, same age, who I wonder if is a bit sadistic. Otherwise, my hen seems to be healthy, eating fine etc. She also seems to be the most submissive of the hens (I have 11). Some of the other hens seem to be losing feathers on their lower back as well, but nothing compared to this. All comments, suggestions are much appreciated. View attachment 1164567
The broken feathers says rooster damage to me. At 27 weeks he's a featherd ball of hormones. If not all the girls are as willing as your Brahma he will go back to her again and again.
You can use a chicken saddle until he hopefully calms down and your other girls get into the swing if things.

I would check for lice or mites to be on the safe side. She could be plucking her own feathers at her backside if she's itchy.
If that's all clear I would say the no peck. I've read that peepers can impair their vision in a way that free ranging is a bad idea. If you have them in a secure run then peepers would be next of no peck doesn't work.
That's My opinion at least.:)
Yes, that is the down side to peepers. I kept mine in a fenced in area while the peepers were on. If you suspect roo damage, I've heard about hen saddles. If never made it used them, but from what I've read, they work! If I am wrong, please correct me.

Back
Top Bottom