Feathers Going Downhill, Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPeep, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello everyone!

My favorite chicken in the world is Ebony, a Cochin silkie cross. Ebony has the most beautiful, soft, black feathers. She is a house chicken.

But recently, I've noticed something. Her feathers are looking unhealthy. They are getting scraggly. It started a little while ago, and is getting worse. 3 years ago we had a different house chicken that had this same problem, but his was terrible, all his feathers looked awful and messed-up. I really don't want this to happen to Ebony! I've been getting her outside as much as possible because I don't want her gorgeous feathers to be ruined. [​IMG]

Is there anything I can do besides take her outside? Are there any vitamins that support healthy feathers? Ebony is so gorgeous and I want her to stay that way. [​IMG]

I would greatly appreciate any answers/advice anyone could give me, thanks! [​IMG]

This pic was taken over the summer.... her feathers don't look this good anymore. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Could she by any chance be moulting? Moulting is natural in chickens and they can look really scruffy whilst going through moulting.

I am sure somebody here can recommend a food supplement that will help her regain her former glorious feathers - if indeed it is a moult.

I looked through the photographs of Ebony - she is beautiful! I have some Silkie/Cochin cross girls too!

Suzie

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    No, I don't think she's molting, she's only a year old. Thank you very much for your relpy. :)
    Here is a picture of some of her feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Chickens use a lot of protein to grow more feathers. You can supplement any high protein, meat scraps/fish, fermented soy. Or put her on a higher protein flock raiser feed for awhile.

I suspect she is molting also.

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thats what i was thinking, but she's not losing feathers. :/ And the chicken we had a few years ago had this some problem but wasn't molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by