Feathers growing extra slow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Souperchicken, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    This baby was helped out of it's shell. It will be 7 weeks old in a couple days and less than half the size of my other chicks. It has the same feathers as it did three weeks ago. She seems to be growing a little bigger, just not developing anymore feathers. I think she is Americauna mix. Will she eventually catch up with the other? Anyone else have this happen?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Is she getting enough to eat? I had an older chick who was limping and stopped growning . I isolated her for a week and fixed the limp and now she has caught up with her peer in growth. She did have very thin weak looking feathers for quite awhile.

Peggy

3. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    I believe she is getting enough to eat. Her craw always seems full. The only unusual thing I've noticed about the chicks eating habits are that they eat any chicken poops that are wet.

4. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Coprophilia is usually a sign of vitamin/mineral deficit. I've never noticed the chickens doing it, but many animals do if something is lacking in their diet.

I would suggest vitamin water. Mine get fresh vitamin water daily and I believe it makes a difference in their health. I think it's about 50/50, for or against vitamin water.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    This chick is 8 weeks old and he took forever to feather in. He is now the most Gorgeous thing you have ever seen. I fed him more protein and everything I could think of. I finally decided he was hatched from eggs acclimated to anothe climate. The last ones I hatched from the same area I kept in air conditioning until they were eight weeks old and they feathered in normally for our area
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by