1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feathers in chick's eyes...what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HudokFarm, Mar 6, 2012.

1. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    One of our little chickies has feathers caked onto one of his eyes. His eye is fine; it is there, healthy and open. The problem is that the little down-feathers on his face and neck have stuck to and dried to his eye. Should I do anything to remove them? Or just see if they fall out on their own? They are pretty stiff and I worry that they may damage his eye if they remain stuck there. Here are a few pics as it is kind of hard to explain (they are from my phone so sorry about the blurriness):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    could you wet it with saline solution several times and gently remove it with q tips

3. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    i do think you need to do something..... that must feel horrible!

4. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    I know! It does look painful. I never thought of using saline. Should it be sterile, do you think? Or can I just use my contact lens solution?

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Saline or water, sterility doesn't matter. I would try warm water on a washcloth etc, hold over eye until moistened, gently wipe. You could try an eye ointment if available, nothing medicated other than like antibiotic ointment, that would stay and help lubricate the eye.

Just make sure baby stays warm and if it gets wet in the process, dry it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  6. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Did it work? Were you able to fix up his/her eye?

7. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

We had this happen to a puppy one time (yes i know thats only a teeny bit different lol) anyway we just got a warm wet washclothe and held it there then starting at the base of his eye gently pulled his fur (in your case fathers) away from his eye. if you have to apply much pressure then use the washclothe some more. if it is red or has puss in it afterwards i suggest using some anitbiotic eye ointment or drops

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by