feathers in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OliviaDeHav, Sep 16, 2010.

1. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    I have noticed lately that the girls have been staying in their coop more unless the sun is directly ON the run area then they come out to dust bathe and sun themselves... I've notice also that there have been a lot of feathers under the roosting bar... They are 10 and 13 weeks old - are they just losing feathers? or is someone in there pulling them out of themselves or another chicken? We have 5 chickens and I'd say there were maybe 20 feathers under the roosting bar - i find them outside here and there, more all the time. No one has a bald spot or anything, no signs of anything wrong.
    Is this normal stuff??? [​IMG]

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    If I remember correctly, there is another molt at about that age. I know mine go through bursts. It is likely they are just growing their grown up feathers and are molting out the other. No worries! [​IMG]

3. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] oh good! I was hoping that was all it is.... We need a PHEW smile face on here [​IMG]

4. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

my girls have been "shedding" on and off their whole childhood. I collected the more perfect feathers, but now I have a huge jar full, so I guess they get to keep the rest!

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

Wait until they do their first grown up molt. It looks like someone tore open a feather pillow! The poor chickies look embarrassingly bad for ever. A couple of mine blow all the old ones off and only have pin feathers left. They look like little porcupines. Sad, pitiful looking chickens. [​IMG]

The baby molts always leave them looking a little mangy. They are quite pitiful too. [​IMG]

6. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:I'm glad you wrote this, I would have wondered what was going on with them! I had a feeling it was something like this as they are acting and behaving normally otherwise...

7. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Rachel'sFlock :

my girls have been "shedding" on and off their whole childhood. I collected the more perfect feathers, but now I have a huge jar full, so I guess they get to keep the rest!

a jar... i was wondering what to do with them [​IMG]

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    With my 40+ some April and others May hatches the inside of my coop looks like there was either a pillow fight or a couple of chickens exploded. They're all get their adult feathers at a different rate is all

9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i made a feather wreath.. large size and stick in the good chicken and wild turkey feathers i find. it is for fall with red berries and wheat stalks in it.

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Sounds pretty, but you can't really post something like that without adding a picture...[​IMG] Please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by