1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feathers lost on my hens head!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fushalilly, Jan 15, 2009.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    My smallest hen (of three) who is on the bottom of the pecking order and has the smallest comb and body, has lost many of the feathers on her face! Most of them grew back in within 3 weeks now. At first I thought it was molting, but nothing else on her has lost feathers, just her head.

What was it?

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Is she in with the other hens? You said she was at the bottom of the pecking order... she maybe getting "pecked" on.

3. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My "brownie" has feather loss to her head too! weird! do you have a rooster? I thought maybe he was doing it to her!

4. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My chickens are missing feathers from the back of thier heads... I assumed it was from the roo doing his thing.

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a roo he might be trying to mate her. If not I would sat that you have a hen that is pecking at her. I would try to isolate her for a bit till the feather come back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by