Feathers missing only around neck. Molt? Bugs? Other?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stubbornhill, Jun 17, 2011.

1. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Two of my girls now have feathers missing from around their neck. I dusted them for bugs about a month ago. I keep looking, but I don't see any. I really like my girls to look good, be healthy and be bug free. I feed them properly, I keep there living quarters very clean. This is driving me nutty! These are recent pictures of them. Please let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's possible they are going into a mini molt, maybe even a full molt. My EE loses part of her muff about this time of the year and it drives me nuts thinking she has lice or mites...and she doesnt. Last year my Red Star lost feathers all the way around her upper neck and head...she almost looked like a red vulture lol.
    It wasnt until this past February that my EE finally grew out a nice, full beautiful muff. There's no telling when their feathers will regrow, but you can check and see if any pin feathers are starting to grow in and around the balding areas. For these 2 particular hens, you can increase their protein for awhile to help them with feather regrowth...but i wouldnt do it on a long term basis. BTW, nice looking Black Star. They and Barred Rocks are my favorites.

3. stubbornhill

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Phew dawg! I feel better. It really drives me crazy when they don't look their best. I know they are animals, but when you take good care of them you want them too reflect your hard work. You know what I mean? I gave them some scrabled eggs this morning in an effort to get them some more protein. My Black Star, "Friend" was a runaway chicken from somewhere. Our neighbor down the road had her show up at his house one day and stayed in his garage for about a week. He asked everyone in the area if she was theirs and they said, no. Not really sure where she came from, but doesn't appear to be very old. We of course welcomed her with open arms. She is a very pretty girl. (minus the new summer do!) Thanks again for you input!!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You're welcome. Just a word of caution for future reference...if you find any more stray chickens or even buying some at a swap meet, farmer down the road, or best friend etc...put them in quarantine for at least 30 days. You never know what disease(s) or parasites they might have that could be introduced to your flock, you dont need that headache. Keep an eye on both your hens. Scrambled eggs are an excellent source of protein...mix some buttermilk in the eggs, it's a probiotic and will help their immune system.

5. stubbornhill

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Oh yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like she was new and then we had this situation. (Just a background story!) 30 Day quarantine always a good idea! No swap meet chickens for me....You're right, I don't need, want or have time for that headache! I have friends that have chickens that to me don't look the best even though I'm sure they are fine. Just not up to my standards. I won't even go near them or touch them when we visit! LOL (a little over the top I know, but whatever) Thanks for the buttermilk info. I had no idea!

6. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think it looks like you have a feather picker. My BOs are terrible about this and they get their chin feathers all picked out. They mostly do it during the winter when they are in the coop a lot and bored. If they aren't out freeranging and busy, that's when you can have this problem. One chicken will pick the feathers out of the one next to her and there will be feathers all over the floor. I've seen them doing it. They seem to like to pick under their necks. My poor Ameraucanas were losing their pretty muffs and beards! The only way I could make it stop was to buy some pinless peepers on eggcartons.com and put it on the offending hens. It looks terrible and the only ones who didn't have it were the two worst pickers!

Lisa

7. stubbornhill

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Thanks Lisa. I will keep my eyes out for such behavior when I am home. They all free range all day everyday, until bed of course. But you never know! Now that my kids are all grown up, I guess I needed something else to worry about. [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yeah.....we gotta get our gray hair somehow! LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by